Friday, October 8, 2010

Big (Mythic) Red



Okay so this is the new brew I'm working on. Obviously I'm still working on the sideboard but I'm very happy with the main board.

The basis of this deck is to power out big creatures using Koth of the Hammer and Everflowing Chalice. It is actually possible to turn 4 Koth and then cast Kozilek on turn 5. Pretty sick for a red deck. I think an interaction people don't see on Koth is that his first ability almost plays like a mini Garruk. You can tap a mountain for mana and then use Koth's ability to turn it into a creature, but then you can tap that guy for mana again.

Cyclops Gladiator is a card that I think people underestimate. This guy can get on the board turn 3 and do serious damage to a deck that is relying on mana dorks.

The rest of the choices are just big creatures that are fun to see on the field. I am seriously considering making room for the Cunning Sparkmage/Basilisk Collar combo, but I don't think that's what this desk wants to do. Maybe in the board.

A full compliment of burn is here obviously to control the field until you can start putting out the fatties.

If you can't win with your fatties obviously you've got a few other win conditions. Koth's ultimate absolutely KILLS. A deuce of Comet Storm is also there for double mana shenanigans. If the game goes late, you've also got Valakut which is always fun.

All in all it's just a fun deck to play. I haven't playtested it yet, mainly because I'm looking for the cards, but I'm certain that this will be a blast to play...no pun intended. Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. "I think an interaction people don't see on Koth is that his first ability almost plays like a mini Garruk. You can tap a mountain for mana and then use Koth's ability to turn it into a creature, but then you can tap that guy for mana again. "

    Yeah, I think this is huge, and a lot of people don't realize it at first. He accelerates your mana by +1 so you can potentially drop him on turn 4 and then on turn 5, drop a Kargan Dragonlord & level it to a 4/4 flyer. Now they've got to worry about dealing two ridiculous threats next turn: either Koth's emblem, or an 8/8 flying firebreather. Good luck!

    "I'm certain that this will be a blast to play...no pun intended."

    You're full of shit, that pun was definitely intended.

    ReplyDelete